A Passport is a travel and ID document that can only be issued to those who are already Italian citizens. If you are not Italian and you are interested in acquiring the Italian citizenship, please refer to the citizenship section: Italian Citizenship
The ordinary passport is valid:
- 10 years for adults;
- 5 years for minors under 18;
- 3 years for minors under 3.
Minors up to 12 years of age are exempt from signing and the requirement for taking fingerprints.
- All passports already issued in the past remain valid until their expiry and their validity cannot be extended. Please note that an expired passport does not affect the citizenship status of its holder;
- A new Italian passport can be issued if the old one has expired or in case of running out of pages, theft or loss;
- New passports cannot be issued if the current one has a residual validity of more than six (6) months, with the exception of cases of loss and theft.
- Please note new passports are issued by appointment only;
- Your residential address registered at the Consulate must be updated before the date of the passport appointment. In order to update your residential details, we invite you to submit the change of address on the FAST-IT platform and then book a passport appointment.
To book an appointment online, please click on the link: Book Online!
The cost of an ordinary passport is subject to quarterly changes. For current costs please click on: Consular Services fees. Payments can be made either via eftpos (debit card only) or in cash.
For guidelines on passport photo requirements, please click HERE
We wish to inform parents of minor children, that starting from 14 June 2023, pursuant to Legislative Decree 69/2023, presenting the consent form of the other parent for the purpose of issuing one’s passport, will no longer be necessary.
The obligation of the consent signed by both parents for the purpose of issuing documents for minors, remains. The consent form is a personal declaration that the parent of minor children must sign using the appropriate form available at the Passport Office or in the section “Forms”
How do I get started?
Click on the image below and follow the step-by-step instructions:
In the event your passport is lost or stolen, you should immediately report it to the local Police and the Consulate as follows:
- Complete a lost/stolen passport report at the local Police station
- The Police report must show the passport details, personal details and details of the loss or the theft.
- Contact the Consulate (please call ahead first, by email or telephone. Contact details available in the CONTACT section)
What to bring to the Consulate by appointment:
- Printed copy of the Police report of loss or theft
- A current valid identity document
- Photocopy of identity document
- If available, a copy of the stolen / lost passport
- 2 photos (identical, front view and in colour, format 35 x 40 mm)
- Completed “Denuncia di furto o smarrimento”
- modulo di denuncia furto passaporto/Italian Passport Theft Notification (only in Italian)
- modulo di denuncia smarrimento passaporto/Italian Passport Loss Notification (Only in Italian)
- payment by Debit card (no contactless) or correct amount in cash
Italian citizens residing in Australia, who need an identity card to be issued, are currently required to contact their municipality of AIRE registration in Italy, which is authorized only to issue a paper identity card and not a plastic card.