This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Transcription of Birth Certificate


Transcription of Birth Certificate

Is it mandatory to register the birth of a child?

The minor children of Italian citizens or at least one parent with Italian citizenship, even if born abroad and in the possession of another nationality, are Italian citizens. Therefore, their births must be registered.


How much does it cost?

The transcription in the Council’s records of a birth certificate, when carried out by this Consulate, is completely free. Otherwise consular fees are applied for the legalization of the translator's signature. For the table of the consular fees, please click here.


What documents should I submit?

  • The birth form filled in and signed by both parents of the applicant; (for the form click here)
  • The original copy of the birth certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, with Apostille issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and with a translation into Italian (not necessarily done by an official translator);
  • A copy of the birth certificate, apostille and translation;
  • Proof of the Italian citizenship of at least one of the parents (identity card, Italian passport or certificate of Italian citizenship);
  • A copy of the proof of the Italian citizenship of at least one of the parents;
  • A copy of both parents’ passports.


Will I have back the original copy of the birth certificate?

No. The original copy has to be kept in the Consular Archive.


I have to make an appointment?

Absolutely not.

The transcription of the birth certificate can be made without appointment, just coming to the Consulate during the public opening hours.

Alternatively, the documents may be sent via regular mail to the following address:

Italian Consulate

Attn. AIRE Office

Consulate of Italy - Adelaide

First floor, Unit 3/215 Port Road

Hindmarsh S.A. 5007 – Australia


How soon can I apply for an Italian passport for my son / daughter?

As of the date of transmission of the birth certificate to the Council (you'll receive an email in cc), you can book an appointment for a passport for minors. For the process, please refer to the appropriate section.